A celebration of all Asian and Pacific Islander cultures, the goal of the Asian Heritage Street Celebration is to promote and foster Asian Pacific American identity by bringing together community and encouraging the sharing of differences and appreciation of diversity.
The event is held every year on the third Saturday in May in San Francisco, California. The Asian Heritage Street Celebration (AHSC) is organized by the AsianWeek Foundation in cooperation with over 250 organizations in the Asian American community.
Here is a look at scenes from the 8th Annual Asian Heritage Street Celebration held on May 19, 2012 at San Francisco’s Civic Center.
- Thai monks from the Wat Buddhapradeep Temple in San Bruno performed a blessing to get the day started off right. Photo by Jong Arcega.
For more photos from the blessing, visit: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.417925354907676.100229.107575025942712&type=1
- Colorful Asian ethnic attire was paraded through the Asian Heritage Street Celebration as part of the Faces of Asia cultural procession at 11 a.m.
For more photos by Michael Jeong Photography, visit: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.417880968245448.100220.107575025942712&type=1
- Celebrity Martin Yan wows the crowd with his noodle cooking demo! Photo by Calvin Jeng.
For more of Calvin Jeng’s photos, visit: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.417904398243105.100226.107575025942712&type=3
- San Francisco Mayor Ed Lee and the CDC’s Dr. John Ward joins elected officials and community leaders at the Asian Heritage Street Celebration on May 19, 2012 to celebrate the nation’s first National Hepatitis Testing Day. Free hepatitis B and C testing were available for all fairgoers. Photo by Calvin Jeng.
For more photos on the National Hepatitis Testing Day celebration visit: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150964746290469.478068.135897735468&type=1
Fairgoers had a chance to experience Chinese medicine, acupuncture, massage, herbs, teas, moxa, acupressure, qigong, meditation, and many more at the East West Academy of Healing Arts and World Congress on Qigong/TCM alternative medicine booths. Photo by Wendy Wong.
For more photos by Wendy Wong, visit:
Cherng Loong Lion Dance Troup wowed festival goers all day with their impromptu performances. Photo courtesy of Kung Fu Magazine.
For more photos by Kung Fu Magazine, visit: http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150997747894363.489398.135964689362&type=3
- Six outstanding educators were given the 8th Annual Asian Heritage Street Celebration School Awards and Target gift cards for their work in promoting cross-cultural diversity. From left to right: AHSC School Outreach Committee member: Annette Brown, Target’s Melissa Chu, School board member Kim-Shree Maufus, School Award winners Christine Eng Leon, Jeff Bissell, Danny Nguyen, Loan Ly, Tomokazu Morikawa, and Mindy Yip, and ceremony MC and School Board Member Emily Murase. Photo by Frank Jang.
For more AHSC School Award photos by Frank Jang visit: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.419410098092535.100466.107575025942712&type=3
- Abraham Lincoln High School came out in full force to support teacher Christine Eng, one of 6 educators honored during the AHSC School Awards Ceremony inside the Asian Art Museum’s Samsung Hall. The program was sponsored by Target. Photo by Francis Ng.
For more photos from Francis Ng, visit: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.417325518300993.100128.107575025942712&type=3
Kids of all ages enjoyed the free rock climbing rented by the AsianWeek Foundation for all fair goers. Photo by Calvin Wong.
Kids lined up for their chance to play in the bouncy house in the Children's Area of the fair. Photo by Calvin Wong.
For more photos by Calvin Wong, visit: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150978277540520.475158.301384300519&type=3
Hundreds stopped by Brown & Toland Physicians' Photo Booth.
Check out all the photo booth pictures here: http://www.photo-matica.com/browntoland
This year's festival had amazing arts and crafts vendors! Check out these handmade plates and bowls from Arakawa Pottery. Photo by Erica Tu.
For more photos by Erica Tu visit: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150978224585520.475153.301384300519&type=3
Members of the Northern CA Carpenter Regional Council were hard at work all day building dog houses at their booth. Photo by Pearl Pang
For more photos from Pearl Pang visit: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.418656914834520.100353.107575025942712&type=3
Another successful food section. People lined up all day to try almost 30 different vendors. Photo by Zaide Jarin-Pakingan.
For more photos by Zaide Jarin-Pakingan visit https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.3720751172822.2155382.1097079787&type=1&l=3be0dc75a7
200 booths lined Larkin St. between Grove and Ellis. Photo by Jong Arcega.
For more booth pictures by Jong Arcega, visit: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.417931258240419.100233.107575025942712&type=1
Our media sponsor - Where Magazine invited the public to take pictures in their booth.
For photos from the Where Magazine booth, visit: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.314638228615016.72606.219066728172167&type=1
The festival is co-presented by CPMC-Sutter Health and Subaru - proud partner and official vehicle of San Francisco Hep B Free. Other sponsors include Target, Brown & Toland Physicians, Kaiser Permanente, PG&E, Gilead, Xfinity, Cova Hotel, Genentech, | Bristol-Myers Squibb, Recology-Sunset Scavenger-Golden Gate, North of Market Tenderloin Community Benefit District, Onyx Pharmaceuticals, Northern California Regional Council, Grants for the Arts, Sterling Bank & Trust, SFMTA Municipal Transportation Agency, ClearChannel Outdoor, Titan, and Bart. Photo by Vanessa Cheng.
For more photos by Vanessa Cheng, visit: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.417244184975793.100120.107575025942712&type=3
To cap off the fun day, street fair goers and volunteers came out to the AHSC After Party hosted by PURE Entertainment at Sens Restaurant in SF. Photo by Eric Lau.
For more photos by Eric Lau from the after party, visit: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.434714606562084.103008.107575025942712&type=1